Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Cognitivism Tools

In the ideas explored with the EDUC 6711 course authors this week, there are great tools available for teachers to utilize in order to help students perfect their cognitive abilities as well. Technology includes a wide range of resources that can aid students in visually planning their cognitive processes to complete a given project. By utilizing concept mapping software to compile their thoughts in a project plan, it is easier for students to organize their thought process as they complete a given project. Students can also complete this task through a video organizer with streaming feeds such Google Video (Pitler et al, 2007). During my own alternative final project my own students utilize google video to compile a record of their thoughts, then eventually editing those ideas into a logical comprehensive report on their project that they will present to the class.

 

For completing note taking within the classroom EDUC 6711 course author’s recommend that students learn the ability to filter quality from subpar information and that teachers should provide an outline copy of the course notes to the students within the classroom (Pitler et al, 2007). I complete numerous keynote presentations in my class whenever I introduce any new topic to my students. I do complete these activities a little different from other teachers though. From day one I tell my students not to take at all during these activities and merely sit back and soak in the conversation. This way they are not distracted about the recording of the information presented, but can cognitively absorb the information being discussed. Also the students can more readily participate in the keynote discussion. Afterwards I post all the slides of the keynote presentation to my course website where the students may download the presentation to their own computers to review the presented material at their own leisure. I highly believe that these measures effectively help my students cognitively absorb the challenges of the physics curriculum.

 

Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Steve, I had a question about giving students notes. I remember reading something in the book that suggested doing so but there was not much explanation other than is was a recommended practice. Do you, or anyone else know how in depth the notes are, should they be just an outline, or full notes, or a web outline with graphics for making connections? I personaly enjoy an "organized" outline, but make stronger connections when I put things into my own words. What do you find?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have done fill in the blank notes with my students which keeps them more organized. I only do this with my low level students to teach them how to take notes and stay focused in their studies. My upper level students, I do not supply much of any sorts of notes, considering they are mostly college bound students and usually the collegiate atmosphere doesn't hold the students hands as much.

    ReplyDelete